Monday, July 14, 2008

Abraham

This evening was kinda awkward. I was fixing dinner when someone drove up to the house. Mindy called to me that someone was at the door. When I went to answer, it was a Hispanic guy. He had a big smile and said hi and asked for Jay. I recognized him as one who worked in the past during our harvest season. It was hard to tell him where Jay was. He didn't speak English and I didn't speak Spanish. I tried to tell him but he just smiled and said "no comprende." It was hard enough to say it once , but to try and tell him again was too much . I asked him to follow me to the shop so the other guys that work here could help me explain. He just smiled and followed me. When Martin was telling him I just couldn't hold back the tears. His smile left his face and he said he was sorry. I know he was. Sometimes even tho my brain knows, my mouth just doesn't want to say it. It is still hard to believe it myself. So Abraham shook my hand and gave me a big bowl of cherries that he had picked in Washington. Martin got his phone number . Jay always had the best guys working here weather it was full time or just seasonal. He treated them very good and they always come back. I sure hope to see Abraham in November.

2 comments:

BittersweetPunkin said...

What a difficult moment for you...such a moving post.Sounds like Jay has touched so many....I hope Abraham stays in touch with you.
Blessings,
Robin

Maison Douce said...

Pam, it was so nice seeing you and your daughter in Silverton on the 4th, my heart just aches thinking about what you are going through...!! Thank you for sharing, I know we all wish we could lift your heavy heart in any way possible! Take care,
Isabel